Monday, August 25, 2008

Favre, FedEx Cup, Olympics

I asked somebody the other day, a fellow Jets fan, I am sorry I have been sitting in a cave in Mars with my fingers in my ears and my eyes shut; Did the Jets get a new quarterback or something?

I think its time to finally give my opinion the Brett Favre trade.  This deal was a STEAL for the Jets.  We gave up a fourth round pick if he does not perform up to the way we hope he does.  We give up a first round pick if we make the Super Bowl.  Think about it...would you give up a first round pick to see your team in the Super Bowl?  It makes perfect sense.  He is far better than anyone else we had.  I will miss Chad, he has brought many highs to our team, but he is still NO Brett Favre.

I actually shedded some tears for the acquisition.  I was just so happy to finally see the Jets do something that they had never done.  They finally decided to just act boldly and make the big headlines they have never made.  It was almost surreal to see how much of the city was finally talking about the Jets...even after the Giants won the Super Bowl back in February.  I am looking forward to this upcoming season because even if we don't do anything big...we finally took the chance to put ourselves in position.


Yesterday, the first leg of the PGA TOUR Playoffs for the FedEx Cup, The Barclays, ended on a very high note.  Vijay Singh defeated Sergio Garcia and Kevin Sutherland on the second playoff hole to claim his fourth Barclays title.  The players gave plenty of praise to the new course, Ridgewood Country Club, which hosted the tournament after 41 years in Westchester.  The new format for FedEx Cup points also proved to be more successful in creating drama.  Kenny Perry who came in as the highest ranked active player (Tiger Woods was #1 but is out due to injury) fall five places to #7.  Vijay Singh is now the leader, followed by Sergio Garcia and Kevin Sutherland is second and third respectively.  The FedEx Cup looks to bring a lot of drama to the TOUR over the next month.  I can't wait to see who will bring home the $10 million.


Finally, the Olympics ended on a high note this week.  This was the most watched Olympics ever in history.  Thanks to Michael Phelps' dominating 8 gold medal performance, and Usain Bolt's 3 world record breaking gold medal races.  Beijing put the spark back in the Olympics that had been missing since Atlanta in 1996.  I am anxiously awaiting to see how Vancouver in 2010, and London 2012 can try and top this superb performance we saw.  Also, rumors are circulating that Chicago is starting to be seen as the favorite to host the games in 2016 (Sports Business Daily 8/25).

More to come as the NFL season is right around the corner, and my preview to come shortly.

Keep on fighting the good fight,
The Conzz

No comments: